Thursday, May 23, 2013

Silom Thai Cooking School

Here is the continuation entry of my Thailand travel series.

One of the most fascinating I did in Bangkok was to enroll myself in a one-day cooking class at Silom Thai Cooking School.



Okay so I know you have questions:

Q: What should I wear for the class?
Ans: wear your most comfortable clothes. Dress appropriately as you will visit the dry market as well as the wet market :)

baskets while going around the market

Q: Is it only for women?
Ans: No. In fact, during my class, I had two awesome male classmates! :)

with our guide, Oat, (in black) :)
Q: Is the class for advance (i.e: for someone who already knows how to cook)?
Ans: No. Actually everyone is invited to experience cooking for the first time. It was easy to follow as long as you are willing to try cooking.




Q: What to expect?
Ans: First, you'll be shown around the market and introduced to what and where to buy the ingredients, then after, you'll head to the cooking class area and prepare your ingredients, cook and then eat  (eating part is the most fun!!) :)






learning about the different ingredients :)

Q: Do I need to bring anything?
Ans: Just bring yourself and money (to pay for the class) and that's it!

Q: How much is it?
Ans: Mine, cost 1100 baht (I may be mistaken)

Q: How many recipe is there?
Ans: You'll be doing at least 5 recipe (1 appetizer, 3 main course,1 dessert)






My own work station! :)
Q: Is it hands-on?
Ans: oh yes!!! make a mistake in the way you cook, well, you get to eat it after! so do good! :)



Q: How long is the class?
Ans.: About 4-5 hours top!




Q: How many people per class?
Ans: well depending where you get to be enrolled. There are two simultaneous class held in the morning, afternoon and midnight. One class can hold less than 10 people and the other one is a bigger class ( I think) more than 20 students.

Q:is it okay for children?
Ans: I think it is. as long as you deem the child can cut his/her own vegetables and use the stove on his/her own. :)



My first tom yum soup made from scratch!
Tom Yum Soup!
Crispy Fish Salad
Q: Do I get to bring home the food I cooked?
Ans: No. Since you'll be eating whatever you cook right there and then!

Q: Can I request what recipe to cook?
Ans: No. Unless you can block out the whole class for your group. The cooking school have a pre-arranged recipe per day. So you can check their site for the class schedules and recipes.

My own Pad Thai creation!

Q: What do I get after the class?
Ans. a whole lot of experience and a cook book recipe! :)


Q: Are the recipes doable at home?
Ans: yes! I was able to do some of the recipes again at home. Though, I am having problems with some of the ingredients since some of the ingredients are not available in our own market. So might I suggest, you buy the ingredients before leaving Thailand.




The hardest part of the whole cooking series!! making your own curry paste from scratch! hahaa :)

Sticky Rice and mango!
My Classmates!

Q: Was it worth the time?
Ans: Definitely yes! You get to learn plus meet new people too! and take awesome photos as well! hehehe :))


Awesome awesome! One bucket list done!

No comments: